About Me

My photo
Sterling Heights, MI, United States
"I give a damn what any fan thinks of my legacy. I'm tryna live life in the sight of God's memory, like that y'all." ~Mos Def

Friday, April 3, 2009

Poems 2 and 3/30 NaPoWriMo

NaPoWriMo#2 Lunch Time (remixed)

Lunch Time (remixed)

I sit three tables across from her,

glance at her face nonchalantly
and bite into a bland tuna melt.

Lunch time.

Same routine, different day.


My co-workers and I file monotonously to the cafeteria.
pretending that we honestly enjoy eating lunch together;

pretending that it is a team builder
through which we can all learn “fun” personal facts about each other.

Pretending that I am not the only black girl in our group.



I pretend that I actually want tuna melts instead of southern fried chicken.

I deny that what I really want is a little freedom from my daily lunch companions.


I stare at the dark sista across from me.

Her eyes meet mine hesitantly.

We send silent smoke signals to each other, mentally writing fogged breath messages on glasses of Diet Coke.

They read: “Save me from Corporate Ameri-KKK.”

I force a smile in her direction.

We both understand that the phone bill, gas bill, and rent payments are the true masters
rendering our pleas for help are useless.


I look away from the sista angrily, as if she somehow caused my unease,

Stare almost lovingly into the ocean colored eyes of my supervisor.

There is no way off of this plantation.


The sista/stranger and I breathe out a synchronized sigh and stare attentively at our respective lunch buddies

wishing for a wealthy, Southern-fried chicken freedom from the daily grind.

©2009 Draft 3 La Shaun phoenix Moore




NaPoWriMo #3 Haiku Suite: Untitled

There are not enough syllables
to sum up the way you make me feel.

17 short breathes
are stolen every time your mouth
starts kissing mine.

17 heartbeats
skip rock across my rivers
at your heated touch.

17 bad memories
are healed instantly
in your balm of love.

These haiku are not at all expansive enough
to summarize you.

Keep shining love in me, Baby.
Burn the pain.
Make me sunlight in bloom.

© 2009 La Shaun phoenix Moore

No comments: